J.A. Happ started and allowed three runs (two homers) in three innings. He’s allowed six homers in 11.1 innings this spring. Going to be a fun home run race between Happ and Judge this season. Zack Britton and Aroldis Chapman threw well on the second day of back-to-back days (Britton threw a simulated game yesterday). Phil Diehl got hit hard for the first time this spring, allowing three runs in 1.1 innings. Meh. It happens. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here are the day’s notes from camp:
- Estevan Florial left this afternoon’s game after crashing into the center field wall. He’s going for precautionary x-rays on his right wrist. That’s the wrist he had surgery on last year. “We think it’s something minor … He hit his wrist a little bit on that play off the wall. They don’t feel like it’s anything big, but we’re going to make sure of it,” said Aaron Boone. [Coley Harvey, Bryan Hoch]
- As scheduled, CC Sabathia threw two innings and 32 pitches in a simulated game today. Here’s some video. Normally the next step after a two-inning simulated game would be a Grapefruit League appearance. With Sabathia, I’m guessing it’ll be another simulated game. [Conor Foley]
- Didi Gregorius (Tommy John surgery) is currently making 50 throws from 90 feet as part of his throwing program. He’ll stretch it out to 120 feet next week. Gregorius doesn’t know his target return date, which isn’t surprising given how much more rehab he has ahead of him. [Jack Curry]
- Kyle Higashioka was optioned down and sent to minor league camp after catching Sabathia’s simulated game, the Yankees announced. I unofficially count 49 players in big league camp now. I reckon there could be another round of cuts following tomorrow’s split squad road games.
- Prior to today’s game, the Yankees named Mike King and Brandon Wagner the 2018 Kevin Lawn Award winners as their Minor League Pitcher and Player of the Year. Congrats to them. Miguel Andujar and Domingo Acevedo won it last year, Aaron Judge and Chance Adams the year before.
- Tony Clark and the MLBPA team were in camp today for their annual song and dance. The players held their meeting on a backfield rather than in the clubhouse because they’re worried about surveillance. Several teams have done that this spring. [Jack Curry, Buster Olney, Marc Carig]
Today’s game will be replayed on YES (5:30pm ET) and MLB Network (9am ET), if you’re interested. The Yankees have a pair of split squad road games tomorrow. James Paxton will start against the Phillies and Jonathan Loaisiga will start against the Orioles. Both games will be televised live.